↑ Return to Travel

Travel Authorization

Travelling document required

Starting March 15th, 2016, visa-exempt foreign nationals who fly to or transit through Canada will need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). Exceptions include U.S. citizens and travellers with a valid visa.

To find out if you need an eTA, a visa, or nothing at all, please click here and fill out the short survey.

Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)

If you do find out that you require an eTA, you are responsible for getting it via the link above. You will need to provide the biographic information from your passport. This includes your name, date and place of birth, gender, marital status, address, nationality and passport number. You will also need to answer a few simple background questions to determine if you can come to Canada. For example, you will be asked about your current job and how much money you have available for your visit to Canada, and if you have any medical issues.

A fee of $7 CAN will be charged when applying for an eTA. Visa, Mastercard and American Express, including prepaid Visa, Mastercard and American Express cards, are the only accepted forms of payment.

Once approved, your eTA is valid for five years or until your passport expires – whichever comes first. You can come to Canada as many times as you wish during the period of validity of your eTA.

An eTA is electronically linked to your passport and no paper or card is issued for it. Of course, you will need to travel with the passport you used to apply for your eTA.


If you do find out that you need a visa, you will be responsible for getting it via the link above. If you require a letter of invitation in order to secure a visitor visa for Canada, you must first register for IONS Quebec 2016, then send an email to repol@phy.ulaval.ca requesting an invitation letter. Please include your full name, date of birth, university, university’s address, your phone number, country and passport number. We will try to get and send you an invitation letter as soon as possible. Please apply for your visa as early as possible as the process can take a long time.